Music Biz’s annual celebration of artistic and executive achievement, the Music Biz Awards & Hall of Fame Dinner, was held Tuesday, May 7, as part of the Music Biz 2019 Conference at the JW Marriott Nashville. This year’s ceremony was sponsored by BuzzAngle Music, City National Bank, Cracker Barrel, Jammber, and TiVo.
The slate of 2019 Music Biz Award winners included:
- Peter Frampton — Chairman’s Award for Sustained Creative Achievement
- Bebe Rexha and Kane Brown — Breakthrough Artist Awards
- Darius Rucker — Harry Chapin Memorial Humanitarian Award
- Sony Music Nashville Chairman and CEO Randy Goodman — Presidential Award for Outstanding Executive Achievement
- The Orchard Co-Founder Richard Gottehrer — Outstanding Achievement Award
- Record Archive owners Richard Storms and Alayna Alderman — Independent Spirit Award
To celebrate Randy Goodman’s Presidential Award, CMA and ACM Award-winning Country Music artist Luke Combs performed a special acoustic set of his chart-topping hits “Beautiful Crazy” and “She Got The Best of Me.”
This year also saw the expansion of the Music Biz Hall of Fame, which for the first time featured the induction media outlets, landmarks & venues, record labels, and industry executives. Most notably, the program honored industry legend and famed Beatles producer, the late Sir George Martin, presenting his Hall of Fame plaque to his son, GRAMMY-winning producer, composer and arranger, Giles Martin.
The rest of the night’s Hall of Fame inductees included:
- Rolling Stone Magazine
Landmarks & Venues
- Apollo Theatre
- Hitsville U.S.A. — The Birthplace of Motown
- Sun Studio
- Atlantic Records
- Capitol Records
- Sub Pop
- Ahmet Ertegun
- Herb Abramson
- Miriam Abramson (later Beinstock)
Stay tuned in the coming days for recordings of the acceptance remarks from each of this year’s recipients!