SiriusXM and Pandora have joined together to create the leading audio entertainment company in the U.S. Together, we are uniquely positioned to lead a new era of audio entertainment by delivering the most compelling subscription and ad-supported audio experiences to millions of listeners — in the car, at home and on the go. Our talent, content, technology and innovation continue to be at the forefront, and we want you to be a part of it! Check out our current openings below and at www.siriusxm.com/careers.
Pandora is seeking a highly motivated music attorney for a unique opportunity to join the business transactions legal team. The right person for this position must be a team player with highly collaborative interpersonal skills. This individual will take pride in personal excellence, display a high level of confidence, energy and possess a proven ability to thrive in an environment with frequently shifting priorities. This is a great opportunity to be a key strategic player in an exciting, fast-paced and fun company. This position is responsible for the negotiating and drafting of various content and music related agreements and rendering legal advice with respect to copyright and music related issues.
This position reports to the Chief Music Licensing Counsel.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Work closely with the business content licensing team in negotiating, structuring and drafting various content acquisition deals for the Pandora services, including agreements for publishers, performing rights organizations, and record labels.
- Effectively negotiate and interact with key players in the music industry (business and legal) and efficiently discuss risk and tradeoffs with other members of the Pandora team, including finance, accounting, tax, engineering, product, royalty reporting and senior-level executives under time-sensitive conditions.
- Advise Pandora team members regarding various business and legal matters including copyright, contractual rights and obligations and legal claims.
- Coordinate and assist in managing music and/or copyright litigation, disputes and relevant rate proceedings. Assist in responding to subpoenas, document requests and other formal requests for information including negotiating the scope of any response, consulting with internal business partners and obtaining, reviewing and producing documents.
- Build strong internal client relationships and generate client satisfaction through strategic thinking and risk analysis.
- A Juris Doctorate from a nationally recognized law school
- Admission to at least one state bar (State Bar of California or New York preferred)
- 5+ years of experience practicing music law; music publishing experience required.
- Strong law firm or in-house experience/ training
- Prior experience negotiating and drafting on demand music streaming agreements
- Proven, in-depth knowledge and experience drafting and negotiating complex agreements relating to the creation, distribution, sale, and marketing of music – including music publishing
Requirements And General Skills
- Intimate knowledge of copyright law
- Demonstrated strong ability to collaborate effectively and influence internal company clients
- Strong analytical capabilities and judgment, even when the rules are unclear and the issues are of first impression
Ability to manage a varied, high-volume workload efficiently and smoothly, operate autonomously (without outside counsel support) and remain cool and levelheaded in pressurized situations
- Knowledge of record label and publishing businesses
- Ability to make decisions and pivot quickly and fluidly, think practically and be solution-oriented
- Curiosity and willingness to tackle matters outside area of expertise
- Able to recognize and respond quickly and pragmatically to urgent situations and demanding clients
- Kind, optimistic, a self-starter and flexible
Advanced Knowledge of Word and Excel.
Click here to apply.
Our goal at SiriusXM+Pandora is to provide and maintain a work environment that fosters mutual respect, professionalism and cooperation. SiriusXM+Pandora is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, gender identity, marital status, familial status, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The requirements and duties described above may be modified or waived by the Company in its sole discretion without notice.