Disney Music Group (DMG) is part of The Walt Disney Company’s Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) segment. DMG is the music hub for TWDC, encompassing all aspects of music commercialization and marketing: recorded music (Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records), Disney Music Publishing, and Disney Concerts. DMG distributes music both physically and digitally, and also licenses music throughout the world in various forms of media including television, print, gaming, and consumer products.
The Director, Business Affairs and Legal Counsel, DMG provides business and legal affairs services for Walt Disney Records, Hollywood Records, Disney Concerts, and ESPN’s Andscape.
The Director’s role and primary focus is providing business and legal affairs services and general business advice and support in the areas of recorded music, licensed and produced concerts, and day-to-day business affairs and legal leadership to DMG’s recorded music and music publishing licensing team and DMG’s marketing/creative assets team.
Primary responsibilities include negotiating and drafting complex agreements including: artist recording and other artist-related agreements (including but not limited to agreements for producers, mixers, and featured artists, creative asset commissioning, contests, and social media and marketing-related matters); concerts-related agreements; merchandising, sponsorship/endorsement and partnership agreements; soundtrack album-related agreements; marketing agreements; and music licensing agreements of all types.
As well as working as an integrated member of the business and legal affairs, concerts business and music licensing teams, the Director will work closely with all DMG departments to provide advice and service their business and legal affairs needs. The role may include directing and supervising the work of others including lawyers, paralegals, managers and coordinators. The Director directly supports the Vice President of Business and Legal Affairs and Business Development.
Position requires significant directly relevant experience and a high-level of demonstrated expertise relevant to the above subject matters and related deal negotiation and drafting. Strong interpersonal skills are foundational to success in this role.
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of complex music industry agreements, license agreements and other legal documents as lead project attorney.
- Oversee the drafting and finalization of a variety of master use and synchronization music licenses by members of the Business & Legal Affairs and Music Licensing teams (including lawyers, managers and coordinators).
- Work with the VP of Disney Concerts and DMG international colleagues in the preparation and finalization of production, music license, merchandise and sponsorship deals for distribution to packaged concert licensees worldwide.
- Provide legal guidance in connection with creative asset commissioning, contests, promotions, sweepstakes, social media and other marketing support in connection with label product releases and events.
- A minimum of 7 years relevant experience (including experience specific to music industry agreements)
- Demonstrated strong communication, drafting, analytical and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate and reconcile issues from the business unit and at enterprise level
- Ability to multi-task and think strategically and creatively when solving problems
- Resilience to working within a complex fast-moving organization
- Willingness to constructively challenge status quo and be proactive
- Strong project management skills
- Willingness to work and integrate with multiple partners
- Strong client relationship and support skills
- Ability to think strategically and synthesize complex business/financial and other data
- Demonstrated ability to manage simultaneous priorities and serve the needs of multiple stakeholders within the department, other departments and outside the business unit within the wider Walt Disney Company
- Strong track record of leadership and mentorship of junior colleagues in both legal and non-legal areas of the business
- JD or equivalent
- Strong academic credentials
- Admission to California State Bar in good standing or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel
Click here to learn more and apply.