Director, Catalog Development & Marketing (Rock, Alternative, Hard Rock) – Warner Music Group
Company Website: https://www.wmg.com/
Location: New York or Los Angeles
Position Type: Management
Employment Type: Full-Time
With a legacy extending back over 200 years, Warner Music Group (WMG) today brings together artists, songwriters and entrepreneurs that are moving entertainment culture across the globe. Operating in more than 70 countries through a network of affiliates and licensees, WMG’s Recorded Music division includes renowned labels such as Asylum, Atlantic, Big Beat, Canvasback, Elektra, Erato, First Night, Fueled by Ramen, Nonesuch, Parlophone, Reprise, Rhino, Roadrunner, Sire, Spinnin’, Warner Records, Warner Classics and Warner Music Nashville. WMG’s music publishing arm, Warner Chappell Music, has a catalog of more than 1.4 million musical compositions spanning every musical genre, from the standards of the Great American Songbook to the biggest hits of the 21st century. Warner Music Group is also home to WEA (Warner-Elektra-Atlantic), the pioneering distribution and marketing network, and ADA, the independent artist and label services company, as well as consumer brands such as Songkick the live music app, EMP the merchandise e-tailer, and UPROXX the youth culture destination.
We currently have a fantastic opportunity to join our innovative and highly sought-after Global Catalog team.
Catalog is the paramount frontier for marketing artists in the streaming era. We work closely with our frontline labels and artists under the Recorded Music division to develop new catalog opportunities in marketing, A&R, content development, and consumption, and then convert our findings into new strategies that are deployed across the company. We think and act like entrepreneurs.
The role of the Director, Catalog Development and Marketing centers around music marketing, strategic development, and performance analysis. In this role you will develop expert fluency in the catalog of Warner Music Group’s Recorded Music division with a focus on current Atlantic and Warner Records artists. You will work to increase exposure for artists and drive revenue by developing campaign ideas that complement active frontline campaigns, highlighting opportunities for incremental growth, sharpening and implementing best practices across your roster, and increasing internal awareness of the value of our artists’ catalogs in an “always-on” marketplace. This role aims to bridge the history of our artists’ careers with their active releases, and to continue building fanbases that stay with them forever. This role reports into in the SVP, Global Catalog Development and Marketing out of Los Angeles.
- Collaborate with the SVP, Global Catalog Development and Marketing to develop and execute campaigns and strategies for on- and off-cycle catalog priorities across Rock, Alternative, Hard Rock, and Country genres.
- Become an expert in the history of each artist on your roster and the landscape of the genre they occupy. This includes their overall brand, past releases, marketing campaigns, social media presence, fanbase consumption habits, chart performance, and more.
- Attend regular touch-base meetings with SVP to outline scope, timeline, deliverables, and establish relevant KPIs for each campaign or project.
- Develop new, tailor-made digital and physical catalog marketing campaigns for active frontline artists, and execute best practice strategies across your roster.
- Identify opportunities, research trends, and communicate and collaborate with other internal departments to drive projects forward.
- Identify and execute A&R opportunities for new releases & relevant re-issues, including milestone anniversaries.
- Identify viral moments and build quick-strike marketing campaigns that capitalize quickly on such opportunities.
- Drive catalog marketing initiatives for active priority artists in-line with anniversaries and associated milestone events through the artist’s career.
- Develop quarterly budget forecasts with SVP for forthcoming priority projects.
- Regularly attend marketing meetings for active frontline artists to maintain a clear view of ongoing efforts and align catalog efforts accordingly.
- Create and deliver regular updates to all interested parties, highlighting campaign performance and growth opportunities that align with our strategic goals.
- Look for new and current external partners for marketing and A&R opportunities in the catalog space.
- Run post-mortem analysis on catalog marketing initiatives to evaluate successes and failures, and continue to develop best practices to apply moving forward.
- Develop and create social content and digital marketing tools for use across social networks and streaming platforms.
- Survey current consumption charts and reports to identify catalog opportunities, and craft ideas to capitalize on them.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Be willing to challenge the status quo and understand the need to evolve traditional marketing techniques for the modern, “always-on” world.
- Have strong interpersonal communication skills and presentation skills
- Have experience using storytelling to showcase new ideas and achieve goals
- Have strong project management and multi-tasking skills to bring new ideas to life across a variety of departments
- Have strong teamwork, organization, and time management skills
- Possess a deep understanding of the modern digital landscape and pop culture marketplace
- Have experience in streaming, sales, and marketing analysis
- Have experience with producing or creating content & bringing content to market
- Have experience & flexibility with working across many international time zones. Some tasks and calls will be required outside of regular business hours.
- Have knowledge of Warner Music Group’s family of current artists
- 4-5+ years of music industry marketing, product management, and/or A&R experience across different verticals in the music industry, including record labels, artist management, media/PR, digital agencies, booking agencies, digital accounts, start-ups, music publishing, brand marketing, and related companies/fields.
- Experience with creative strategy, leading marketing campaigns internally and externally with partners such as Spotify, Apple, YouTube, Instagram & Facebook, TikTok, Snapchat, Twitter, Triller, Pandora, Soundcloud, and more.
- Are tech savvy with deep understanding of current technologies and general market trends