Data Scientist – Ingrooves Music Group
Company Website: https://www.ingrooves.com/
Location: Victoria, BC
Position Type: Junior Staff
Employment Type: Full-Time
At Ingrooves Music Group, we are committed to powering creativity in today’s dynamic music marketplace by providing the best distribution, marketing, and rights management tools and services to content creators and owners. We develop state-of-the-art, cost-efficient, and scalable technology platforms. Our partners benefit from our experienced, knowledgeable people, unparalleled commitment to customer service, and thoughtful marketing solutions that drive results. We aspire to be the most transparent and solution-driven partner for all of the labels and artists we work with.
How we LEAD:
This is an execution and delivery-oriented, highly visible role in the Insights & Analytics team with primary responsibility for building, testing, and validating scalable machine learning models that drive business-relevant insight generation. This includes development of project plans, handling of potential issues and risks, collaborating constructively with project team members, providing effective cross-functional communication, and advancing multiple projects at once.
The successful candidate will ideally be based in Victoria, BC and their reporting line will be to the Chief Analytics Officer. Although the Insights and Analytics team is primarily based in Victoria, BC, exceptionally strong candidates who wish to work remotely within British Columbia or out of the Ingrooves Los Angeles office are especially encouraged to apply and will be given equal consideration.
Success at Ingrooves
The successful candidate aligns with the Ingrooves culture by being solution-oriented, collaborative, leveraging best practices, and possessing a passion for both technology and music.
The successful candidate will be open minded with a natural curiosity of the internal and external customer, will be delivery oriented with an understanding of the product development process and will build and foster strong relationships and effective partnerships with cross-functional teams.
Executing for Results
The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to generate and translate strategic plans into actions with timely execution and accountability.
The successful candidate establishes and maintains positive working relationships, operates with integrity, influences and supports others, and remains open to ideas.
The successful candidate will be tenacious and self-motivated and have a demonstrable record of resolving issues and providing effective solutions. They demonstrate eagerness and an ability to learn quickly and leverage a flexible mindset in response to shifting dynamics, adversity and/or change.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Design, build, and deploy machine learning models at scale
- Collaborate closely with product teams to provide high-level AI-driven services for music content owners
- Integrate with external and internal APIs and data sources to augment music consumption data to uncover shifting market trends, new opportunities, operational efficiencies and revenue streams
- Create data-rich informative visuals and documents to articulate and convey complex concepts to executive leadership team and label partners
- Contribute to and enable a positive work environment which highly encourages creative input and constructive criticism from all team members
- Other duties as determined by the Chief Analytics Officer
Desired Skills & Experience
- Earned graduate degree (PhD/MS) in a highly quantitative discipline (e.g., machine learning, statistics, computer science, applied mathematics, theoretical physics, physical chemistry, econometrics)
- 2+ years of corporate experience (at the PhD level) / 4+ years of corporate experience (at the MS level) working in a data scientist or equivalent role
- Demonstrated experience developing machine learning models (e.g. distributed model training with SparkML, PyTorch, Tensorflow, etc.) to deliver robust predictions and inferences in a production scale environment
- Strong software development skills, with demonstrated ability to implement inferential and predictive models in a production environment.
- Expert knowledge of at least one data science programming language (e.g. Python, R, Julia, etc.) and relevant data science and visualization libraries (scikit-learn, pandas, ggplot, etc.)
- Experience with AWS (i.e., EC2, S3, RDS, Redshift, EMR) or similar cloud computing services
- Knowledge and experience of writing and tuning SQL
- Excellent communication and exposition skills with the ability to explain and present complex analyses and machine learning concepts to a broad audience, both technical and non-technical, in English
- Demonstrated ability to work creatively and deliver within highly collaborative work environments while remaining product focused.